Last night I attempted my first painting onto unprimed canvas. I began by mixing my colours by adding water to acrylic paints so they were more like the consistency of the dyes have been using.
I worked on the floor using brushes and pipettes to apply the paint. I did not have any of my drawings and visual research with me so worked spontaneously from memory.
I spilt some of the paint onto the canvas by accident in my hurry to begin, this stain was an unexpected starting point but helped inform where I put subsequent marks. The paint absorbed easily into the canvas and I felt just out of control enough to still be within my comfort zone.
The piece is rather minimal; I do find it difficult to know when to stop but think that retention of areas of blank canvas is important. The colours dried disappointingly dull so I will have to do further research into this technique to understand how to achieve better quality results.