I have now finished the first week in the studio booked for two weeks over Easter. The painting has been very challenging both physically with scale and also aesthetic decision-making.
The space is wonderful, it is so liberating to have privacy and to be able to spread out, not worry about making a mess and not to have to tidy everything away at the end of the day.
It took a while to clear the room and set it out to be a practical working space for me. I covered the walls with my experimental work on paper as reference and inspiration, cut the canvas to size and laid out my paints, dyes and brushes.
As a warming up exercise I began work on a small canvas. I tried to have a more painterly approach and work on it more like the silk pieces, pleating, folding and adding dye.
Here are a selection of images showing the build up in stages.
Now it is time to stop stalling and tackle the larger canvases……………..