There has been a meeting with the MA group to discuss the final exhibition. Now the space (the foyer of the Art School) has been organised and areas agreed. I have a good space I am happy with, it has a stretch of clean white walls all ready for hanging my large pieces. My first task his week was to produced lots small experiments in colour and composition from which I selected the outcomes I considered most sucessful and would best work together as a series.
At last I have the studio to myself so can spread out and work in the way that I want. Here are a few of the small compositions I produced. Some worked much better than others, the bolder less complicated ones with more intense colour contrasts appeal to me the most. I hope they will translate well into the large-scale.
This week I have also been trying out some different fabric. I have worked on a silk/linen mix. This is heavier and stiffer than the 100% silk and slightly off white in colour. It was quite pleasant to work on and the bleeding was more controllable than the silk but when the dye dried It did not have quite the same luminosity. This fabric is wider than the silk so a square rather than oblong composition is achievable. The fluorescent dyes applied well to the stiffer fabric which I was pleased about and I enjoyed the resisting when painted on top of it. I used a decorating roller to apply the dye in rows.
Another fabric I have to try out tomorrow is 100% twill silk, it is heavier than the Haboti silk I have been using and has a slight texture to it which gives it a beautiful lustre. When I have tried out all three fabrics I will make a decision on which gives the strongest impact of colour and luminescence and use that to produce the rest of my pieces.